Sunday, April 26, 2009

Two heads (or 200) are better than one

I know that I learn something new from the people I talk to everyday.  Recently I've spent time talking with marketers from both Playmakers Repretory Theatre in Chapel Hill and Raleigh- based Pincone, the Piedmont Council of Traditional Music.  In every conversation, I've taken away a new idea or a new way of looking at marketing challenges.

Whether you handle PR for a small theatre or have a staff of 15 in your museum, you can bet there are some arts marketing professionals that are facing the same challenges you are.

Which begs the question, why aren't we consulting more with each other? 

One group that seems to be exchanging ideas is the Columbus Arts Marketing Association. They're on Facebook and have an active meeting calendar. But if you search Facebook for arts marketing, they are the only American group that I can see with an ongoing forum for talking about their market's challenges.  Which tells me there are still a lot more opportunities to make peer connections.  
  
Whether you do it online or in person, formally or informally, the format doesn't really matter. Share the issues you are facing with your peers at other arts organizations.  And let them do the same. Everyone will likely come away with some new perspective and, perhaps, a solution or two.




No comments: